students should choose ONE of the following topics (12-point, Times New Roman, double-spaced, no citations required) answering the questions provided:
Negative effects of prison:
Imprisonment has detrimental consequences on physical and emotional health. Research shows that incarceration can result in dependence on institutional routines (i.e., inmates become institutionalized), and experience personality changes including hypervigilance, interpersonal distrust, suspicion, emotional over-control, alienation, psychological distancing, social withdrawal, and isolation. In addition, they learn to incorporate the exploitative norms of prison culture and have a diminished sense of self-worth and personal value. The general public tends to view these experiences as deserved consequences of committing crime. Answer the following questions: Do criminals deserve the negative effects of incarceration? Why or why not? How might these effects have an impact on larger society? Should our society reconsider how we punish people, or is incarceration the only way to ensure public safety?
The effects of incarceration on children:
More than 5 million children in the United States have an incarcerated parent. Children of incarcerated parents are more likely to experience feelings of social stigma, shame, and trauma-related stress. They have higher rates of mental health problems and elevated levels of anxiety, fear, loneliness, anger, and depression. These children experience less familial stability and usually end up with family, but they also end up in the foster system. They don’t achieve educational goals, have behavior problems, and grow up getting inadequate nutrition and sleep. Answer the following questions: How might the effects of parental incarceration (listed above) lead to children’s future offending? As the number of children with incarcerated parents increases, should the general public be concerned about rising crime rates in future years? Why or why not? Are there any possible resolutions for reducing the effects of parental incarceration?
Jokes about prison rape in the United States are common and socially acceptable. Around 4% of prisoners are raped/sexually assaulted each year (around 88,000 people), and this is likely an understated percentage as rape/sexual assault is a highly underreported crime. Answer the following questions: Do inmates deserve prison rape/sexual assault as a condition of punishment? Why or why not? Are jokes in popular culture harmless, or do they reinforce negative, undeserved attitudes toward inmates? What should be done, if anything, to change perceptions about prison rape?
WATCH VIDEO THEN REFLECT ON IT BY CHOOSING ONE OF THE 3 TOPICS AND ANSWERING THE QUESTIONS. THE TOPIC I CHOSE IS THE SECOND ONE ON CHILDREN INCARCERATION
- Describe the various methods advertisers use to segment and aggregate markets.
- Discuss the prognosis for a child born who is afflicted with the developmental problem that you choose to talk about.
- Compare the importance of infrastuture on both country.
- Explain how Steinbeck uses the chrysanthemums as a symbol (perhaps both cultural and contextual?) that provides insight into Elisa.
- Explain if you plan to conduct a regression analysis or correlation or t-test, and the measurements you plan to use You will be utilizing descriptive analysis and using descriptive statistics within Data Analysis in Excel (mean, median, standard deviation analysis, minimum, maximum).
- What factors might promote or slow down brain development?
- Compare and contrast the various leadership styles and evaluate how such styles can impact employee performance.
- Write an example of Jewish or Early Christian Art, formally analyze the artistic developments based on the following: materials, composition, color, spatial qualities, etc.
- Explain how you would introduce this topic to catch the audience’s attention and keep them engaged in the presentation.
- Describe something you learned from the documentary and how that impacted you.