Primary Response is due by Thursday (11:59:59pm Central), Peer Responses are due by Saturday (11:59:59pm Central).
Primary Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 200–250 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
For this Discussion Board, please complete the following:
American policing began during colonial times and has its roots in England. Organized police forces did not begin until the 1700s in England, and prior to an organized police force, there was no uniformity in how criminals were arrested and punished. As population increased, crime rates began to rise in the 18th century. This assisted the growth of a new form of private police, which was able to make profit legally from the lack of formal police departments. They were known as thief-takers because they were known to be corrupt.
These corrupt private police profited not only from catching and informing on criminals but also from theft, receiving stolen property, intimidation, lying, and blackmail. The use of violence by these private police was common. This helped to evolve the profession of policing.
Please watch the following video to help you with this assignment:
The History of Policing in America
The focus of reform and professional development began in the early 1900s with a transition from political influence to advanced investigation and prevention methodologies. Answer the following questions:
Looking at the intellipath lesson “Historical Development of the Police,” what new techniques did Vollmer implement for policing?
Once new techniques for policing were created, officers were trained and encouraged to create a relationship with citizens in the neighborhoods they protected. This idea was known as Community Policing.
After reviewing the intellipath lesson titled “Police Support Functions,” is Community Policing important? If so. Why?
How might community policing make a difference in your neighborhood?
Responses to Other Students: Respond to at least 2 of your fellow classmates with at least a 50–100-word reply about their Primary Response regarding items you found to be compelling and enlightening. To help you with your discussion, please consider the following question:
What differences or similarities do you see between your posting and other classmates’ postings?
- What variation in the number and kind of aggression (e.g. physical, relational, manipulative, etc.) did you observe?
- Write a research paper outlining the five main purposes of case management.
- Write a research paper that examines root cause analysis and affinity diagrams.
- What questions do you have for your faculty member and course colleagues about publishing your research and the DTP Workshop?
- Write a research paper outlining the significance of observing both verbal and nonverbal cues in conversation.
- Write a research report addressing the question: Is metformin (intervention) a more effective way to manage type 2 diabetes in older people (population) than chlorpropamide (comparator)?
- Compose a study describing how to handle a challenge in a presentation.
- Write a research paper that examines the Intelligence Case Study “Colin Powell’s speech at the United Nations on February 5, 2003.”
- Write a research paper on the interactions and overlaps between leadership and communications.
- Write a research paper on the topic of student-centered learning facilitation.