This discussion aligns with Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 9, 10, and 11.
In this discussion, students will explore resources that are useful for obtaining information about jobs and careers in criminal justice and related fields. Through this discussion, students will identify and discuss the difference between a job and a career, identify and discuss various careers in criminal justice (and related fields), locate information on careers in criminal justice (and related fields), and secure information about a job in criminal justice (and related fields). Through researching, locating, and discussing this information, students will demonstrate employability skills including research, organization, and written communication skills.
Step 1: Begin this discussion by exploring at least one of the following resources:
Occupational Outlook Handbook
use this link https://www.bls.gov/ooh/
(Links to an external site.)
Step 2: Upon exploring the resources above, craft an initial post addressing the following elements:
In your own words, briefly discuss the difference between a job and a career, based upon what you learned in the Module 3 materials.
Based on your research and the resource(s) you explored:
Identify and discuss at least three types of information available using the resource(s) you explored.
For each type of information you identify and discussion, discuss how this information is relevant to you as you pursue your career goals.
Based upon the module readings and materials, identify and provide a brief overview (in your own words) of one criminal justice, public safety, or private security position you are interested in learning more about.
In your own words, discuss one piece of information from each source listed in Step 1 relevant to the position you identified in question 3.
Discuss how the position you researched aligns with your lifestyle and values.
Considerations here might include whether you would have to move, does the pay align with what you need to support yourself and your family, does the position align with your personal values, etc.
After researching this position, discuss whether you are still interested in this position, including why or why not.
Continuing the Discussion: Considering the Module 3 textbook readings, create one discussion question related to a topic you found interesting in the readings. Your discussion question should thoughtfully and substantially further the discussion on the module materials (i.e. it should not be able to be answered with a simple “yes” or “no”, with a simple definition, or with an answer of only a few words).
Be sure to include direct web links to any research you use in your initial post. You must include links to all of your your job research (OOH, O-Net, FSCJ Career Coach) to receive full credit for this assignment.
- Write an article “Why there is a worldwide shortage of vanilla” by C.D. in The Economist.
- What were the most surprising things you learned from this article?
- Write a research essay explaining how one theme in the novel Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler provides insight into or comments on our contemporary world.
- Write a book review of the insecure city: space, power, and mobility in Beirut.
- What is most important to you about a bank – swag/freebies, customer service, lowest/competitive rates, or ease of online access/app usage?
- Briefly describe other elements of the work(s): the form, the style of language, verisimilitude, and other elements we’ve discussed in class.
- Write a research paper on drug use among first generation college student.
- Explain why Recreational Marijuana Should Be Legal?
- Write a research paper on whether the healthcare should be a fundamental human right.
- Discuss some of the factors that lead to the acceptance of false beliefs as well as some of the factors that lead us to recognize and reject false beliefs.