This discussion aligns with Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 9, 10, and 11.
In this discussion, students will explore resources that are useful for obtaining information about jobs and careers in criminal justice and related fields. Through this discussion, students will identify and discuss the difference between a job and a career, identify and discuss various careers in criminal justice (and related fields), locate information on careers in criminal justice (and related fields), and secure information about a job in criminal justice (and related fields). Through researching, locating, and discussing this information, students will demonstrate employability skills including research, organization, and written communication skills.
Step 1: Begin this discussion by exploring at least one of the following resources:
Occupational Outlook Handbook
use this link https://www.bls.gov/ooh/
(Links to an external site.)
Step 2: Upon exploring the resources above, craft an initial post addressing the following elements:
In your own words, briefly discuss the difference between a job and a career, based upon what you learned in the Module 3 materials.
Based on your research and the resource(s) you explored:
Identify and discuss at least three types of information available using the resource(s) you explored.
For each type of information you identify and discussion, discuss how this information is relevant to you as you pursue your career goals.
Based upon the module readings and materials, identify and provide a brief overview (in your own words) of one criminal justice, public safety, or private security position you are interested in learning more about.
In your own words, discuss one piece of information from each source listed in Step 1 relevant to the position you identified in question 3.
Discuss how the position you researched aligns with your lifestyle and values.
Considerations here might include whether you would have to move, does the pay align with what you need to support yourself and your family, does the position align with your personal values, etc.
After researching this position, discuss whether you are still interested in this position, including why or why not.
Continuing the Discussion: Considering the Module 3 textbook readings, create one discussion question related to a topic you found interesting in the readings. Your discussion question should thoughtfully and substantially further the discussion on the module materials (i.e. it should not be able to be answered with a simple “yes” or “no”, with a simple definition, or with an answer of only a few words).
Be sure to include direct web links to any research you use in your initial post. You must include links to all of your your job research (OOH, O-Net, FSCJ Career Coach) to receive full credit for this assignment.
- Research and Support Material Worksheet
- Discuss and demonstrate professional demeanor in your writing and critical thought throughout your paper.
- Write a paper on Dystopia how food prices are going up.
- Explain how well you support your assertions, did you provide examples, how well did you contextualize the content, and how well did you employ ‘terms of art’.
- Discuss the major points made in the essay and evaluate whether you agree or disagree with the author’s overall conclusion.
- Write a research paper on recognize the relationship of criminal justice system components and processes with society and government.
- Write a research paper on the effects of child abuse within the family.
- Discuss the difference between homologues and analogues structures (including divergent and convergent evolution).
- Is a degree from an online college or university as legitimate as a degree from a brick-and-mortar university?
- Write history books covering any theme in US History from the colonial years through the late 1860s.