1)Explain the oral tradition. How does this differ from other ways of learning a song? In at least 2 sentences, explain why the oral tradition is significant.
2) Why are jam sessions important to the development of music? Relate your answer to jazz and at least one other style of music.
3) Thinking about your personal repertoire or knowledge of folk songs (songs you might have learned as a child or maybe just “know”, even if you don’t know where you learned the song), what folk category do most of the songs you know fall into? Give at least one example and explain why that songs fits into that category.
4) Explain improvisation in your own words considering the defintion found in the book as well as the one offered in the online presentation. Your response must include at least 3 sentences.
5) Explain the musical similarities and differences between Black and White gospel music in 4-8 sentences.
6) Why is there such an emphasis in American Protestant music in our textbook over other religious music? Explain in at least 3 sentences.
7) What did you find most interesting about the “mad scientist” TED Talk? Did it alter your musical perceptions in any way? Elaborate into 3-6 sentences.
8) Write a definition of musical texture. Do not use the definition straight from the book; put it in your own words. Give an example that will help explain texture in a musical context to someone who has never heard the word before and does not know what it means.
9) Write a definition of timbre. Do not use the definition straight from the book; put it in your own words. Give an example that will help explain timbre to someone who has never heard the word before and does not know what it means.
10) In your opinion, what is the most significant element of music? Explain why in at least 3 sentences.
11) Write a 2-4 sentence personal definition of music. Incorporate information from the lecture videos, the textbook, and your personal musical experiences.
12) From whose perspective do you think it is most significant to consider the interpretation of music (creator, performer, or listener)? Explain why in at least three sentences.
13) Describe one way you listen to music passively. In what ways will you change your listening from passive to active for the sake of this course? List at least three specific ideas.
14) In your opinion, what is the most significant aspect of the business of music (of the areas discussed in the textbook)? Defend your response in 2-4 sentences.
- History: African American History to 1865 Chapter 4,5 and 6 Summary
- Silent Film Age
- After reflecting on the links ( articles and videos), write out the five focus questions one by one (listed below), and under each question write out your answers (write 2-4 typed pages total).
- What are the advantages of alternative assets with regards to Markowitz portfolio theory?
- How might agricultural activities contribute to the greenhouse effect and global warming?
- Pilot Program for PrEp
- Take a moment to reflect on this week’s readings (below) and share with us one particular detail that resonated with you. Please interrogate the texts, and your colleague’s posts, with respect and nuance.
- How covid affected people lives psychologically and mentally.
- Research Your State and Local Governments
- Toxicity of acetaminophen