Chapter 8 deals with the many benefits of diet and exercise.
Find an ad for a weight-loss product or program. Does the ad provide any scientific evidence for its effectiveness? What type of person is the ad targeting? How likely is the recommendation to produce short-term weight loss? What about long-term weight loss? Be sure to reference the textbook in your response in regard to the causes of obesity and the various approaches to weight loss.
You are an RA in a dorm and are worried about the eating habits of your residents. You decide to develop a program for students about healthy eating. You should give two specific pieces of advice for students who are stuggling to lose weight. What recommendations would you give to them to help them be successful in their weight loss goals. Next you should develop an eating disorder prevention plan to help students who may be at risk. What information do these students need to know about eating disorders?
Based on the text, identify three risk factors that have been shown to contribute to the likelihood of developing an eating disorder. Is there any evidence for a genetic or hormonal cause?
Describe your preferred form of exercise (even if you are not currently participating in it). What category of physical activity does it fall into? What are the specific advantages of that type of activity? You can refer to the PowerPoint presentation for Chapter 8 to get details on the categories and benefits of exercise.
In the TED talk by Mitch Cornett (http://www.ted.com/talks/mick_cornett_how_an_obese_town_lost_a_million_pounds), he describes how one town changed their health status and culture. What environmental factors in Oklahoma City contributed to the obesity issues in that town? What strategies were implemented to change the culture of the community?
Chapter 10 provided an overview of cardiovascular disease (CVD), cancer, and HIV/AIDS with an emphasis on the various physiological and psychological factors that influence the development of these diseases. Interestingly, the diseases have very similar risk factors for both diseases (primarily behavioral factors like smoking, obesity, and a sedentary lifestyle). The author also described the epidemiological trends and discussed ethnic/racial differences that have been shown to contribute to increased prevalence of certain conditions.
You should review the popular press (e.g., magazines, newspaper articles) for one current recommendation on how to improve health (e.g., what foods to eat, what type of diet or exercise routine to follow). Do the authors scientifically support their claims for the benefits of their advice (e.g., do they provide a link to an empirical study or discuss any actual data)? Have you noticed any particular fads in terms of advice on staying healthy that appear in the news?
You should complete the online version of the Type A personality scale (http://www.queendom.com/tests/access_page/index.htm?idRegTest=1126). Do you feel this scale accurately measures the construct it intends to measure (e.g., possesses good internal validity)? Does the research presented in the text provide compelling evidence that this “personality type” is linked to increased risk of heart disease?
Based on the TED talk by Noel Bairey Merz, what are the differences in symptoms and treatment between men and women? What should the medical community know and do about her recommendations? Based on the TED talk by Dean Ornish, what are the most important changes that people should make to reduce their risk of heart disease?
This is the book http://libgen.li/item/index.php?md5=2ED7219780EC555DBFAC276BB8955A7F
- Research and Support Material Worksheet
- Discuss and demonstrate professional demeanor in your writing and critical thought throughout your paper.
- Write a paper on Dystopia how food prices are going up.
- Explain how well you support your assertions, did you provide examples, how well did you contextualize the content, and how well did you employ ‘terms of art’.
- Discuss the major points made in the essay and evaluate whether you agree or disagree with the author’s overall conclusion.
- Write a research paper on recognize the relationship of criminal justice system components and processes with society and government.
- Write a research paper on the effects of child abuse within the family.
- Discuss the difference between homologues and analogues structures (including divergent and convergent evolution).
- Is a degree from an online college or university as legitimate as a degree from a brick-and-mortar university?
- Write history books covering any theme in US History from the colonial years through the late 1860s.