These are the assignment instructions, I have attached the powerpoints needed and added some pdfs to help but do not have to be used in citations. You could choose your own articles.
PART 1 (WORTH 12 POINTS):
I’d like you to consider all the content you have read for Weeks 1 – 5 (Rape Culture through University Environment). Before you read the directions for this discussion, remember that MOST schools do not have an academic course on campus sexual violence like this one:
For this discussion, I’d like for you to describe what you believe are THREE critical topics that all schools should focus on when they are teaching students about campus sexual violence. You will choose something specific from the 1. Rape culture, power, and privilege section 2. Consent section and 3. University Environment section. I’d like for you to describe in detail what exactly students should be taught and why you believe that is important. While I do genuinely want to know your opinion, I would still like for you to weave in content from readings/articles/videos, etc.
1. Marginalized groups of individuals who may be the target of rape myths or are more likely to experience sexual violence on campus (for example: LGBTQ+ students are more likely to be sexual assault survivors compared to heterosexual and cisgender college students. Describe why you believe that is crucial for college students to understand. What difference do you think it would make if more students knew that?)
2. How oppressive systems that uphold patriarchy, white supremacy, hegemonic masculinity, and capitalism contribute to racism, sexism, and homophobia which all impact sexual violence (for example: you might describe the ways in which you believe our capitalist society impacts campus sexual violence. Describe why you believe that is crucial for college students to understand. What difference do you think it would make if more students knew that?)
PART 2 (WORTH 3 POINTS):
In addition, you will also include one recent video and one recent news article about each topic (recent is last 3-4 years):
Video 1 and article 1 must have the word rape culture in the title
Video 2 and article 2 must have the word consent in the title
Video 3 and article 3 should be related to something specific in the university environment (For example: fraternities, sororities, student athletics, Title IX on campus, etc)
ALL VIDEOS AND ARTICLES OBVIOUSLY MUST RELATE TO SEXUAL VIOLENCE!
To summarize your grading rubric:
– You will describe THREE critical topics that all schools should focus on when they are teaching students about campus sexual violence when it comes to 1. rape culture, power, and privilege 2. consent and 3. the university environment (GRADING WILL BE WORTH 7 POINTS AND BASED ON YOUR LEVEL OF DETAIL, YOUR COMPREHENSION OF THE MATERIAL, AND WHETHER IT SEEMS YOU DID ANY OF THE READINGS)
-Each of the 3 responses will be minimum 100 words (so for all 3 responses, you are writing 300 words total) (GRADING WILL BE WORTH 3 POINTS AND BASED ON IF YOU MET THE LENGTH REQUIREMENT)
-Each of the 3 responses should have a citation within the text and at the end of your paragraph. So, you will use a minimum of 3 citations, but feel free to use more (I do not care what citation style you want to use: APA, MLA, all are fine with me) (GRADING WILL BE WORTH 2 POINTS AND BASED ON IF YOU INCLUDED CITATIONS WITHIN THE TEXT AND AT THE END OF EACH SECTION)
-For each of the 3 topics, you are submitting a recent video and recent news article (3 videos, 3 news articles) (GRADING WILL BE WORTH 3 POINTS, 1 POINT FOR EACH VIDEO AND NEWS ARTICLE PAIR)
-You can use my powerpoint as 1 of your 3 citations. Please do not cite my powerpoint(s) more than once though
-Feel free to search online for more content and use outside sources for this assignment (meaning you are not only restricted to the course readings I have assigned in this class)
- Write an article “Why there is a worldwide shortage of vanilla” by C.D. in The Economist.
- What were the most surprising things you learned from this article?
- Write a research essay explaining how one theme in the novel Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler provides insight into or comments on our contemporary world.
- Write a book review of the insecure city: space, power, and mobility in Beirut.
- What is most important to you about a bank – swag/freebies, customer service, lowest/competitive rates, or ease of online access/app usage?
- Briefly describe other elements of the work(s): the form, the style of language, verisimilitude, and other elements we’ve discussed in class.
- Write a research paper on drug use among first generation college student.
- Explain why Recreational Marijuana Should Be Legal?
- Write a research paper on whether the healthcare should be a fundamental human right.
- Discuss some of the factors that lead to the acceptance of false beliefs as well as some of the factors that lead us to recognize and reject false beliefs.