The final paper should be 5-6 pages in length, double-spaced, and an extra page being a bibliography. General Topic areas for the paper include: folk music, world music, jazz or popular music as evidenced by your reading. However, the topic of the paper itself must be narrow in scope, such as study of the importance of a particular artist, or a musical style, or an aspect of some music-culture other than our own. I do not want a survey paper. I want an exploratory essay on something of interest to you within the musical world. Your paper should consist of your own ideas, presented clearly and succinctly. Throughout the paper you should support your ideas with the help of outside sources (scholars, writers, personal interviews, texts, etc.), which you acknowledge. Not biographies, please. Concentrate on writing about the music. That is the hardest thing to do. Use what you have learned from the textbook, as well. This paper will be graded on content and style. Make sure to proofread, and you might try using an outline. It can be very helpful. DO NOT USE ANY SOURCE WITHOUT ACKNOWLEDGING IT IN YOUR PAPER. IF YOU DO, A GRADE OF 0 WILL BE GIVEN.
- Write an article “Why there is a worldwide shortage of vanilla” by C.D. in The Economist.
- What were the most surprising things you learned from this article?
- Write a research essay explaining how one theme in the novel Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler provides insight into or comments on our contemporary world.
- Write a book review of the insecure city: space, power, and mobility in Beirut.
- What is most important to you about a bank – swag/freebies, customer service, lowest/competitive rates, or ease of online access/app usage?
- Briefly describe other elements of the work(s): the form, the style of language, verisimilitude, and other elements we’ve discussed in class.
- Write a research paper on drug use among first generation college student.
- Explain why Recreational Marijuana Should Be Legal?
- Write a research paper on whether the healthcare should be a fundamental human right.
- Discuss some of the factors that lead to the acceptance of false beliefs as well as some of the factors that lead us to recognize and reject false beliefs.