Medical Aid in Dying Essay(75 pts):Through this assignment you will explore the advantages and disadvantages of medical aid in dying, or what has been called physician-assisted suicide and euthanasia. Your grade for this assignment will be based on a short essay on medical aid in dying.
First, read the assigned readings on anthropological approaches to death and medical aid in dying (sometimes called euthanasia or physician-assisted suicide) in Module 3 as described in the syllabus. Focus particularly on the reading and video listed below
Emanuel, E.J. 1999. What Is the Great Benefit of Legalizing Euthanasia or Physician-Assisted Suicide? Ethics109(3): 629-642.
VIDEO: Alternate Endings: Six New Ways to Die in America: Segment 6 (Medical Aid in Dying) (21 minutes, Films on Demand)
Now, for 75 points, you will write a 1-2 page essay (12-point font, double-spaced, 1-inch margins) on the various approaches and beliefs about medical aid in dying. Your essay should address the following questions:
First, describe the advantages of medical aid in dying, particularly according to Emanuel. What, then, are the disadvantages of medical aid in dying?
If a loved one asked you to, would you help them with a medically assisted death? Why or why not?
Would you consider medical aid in dying for yourself? Why or why not? If so, under what conditions would this be an acceptable choice for you?
Finally, is medical aid in dying legal where you live? Laws in the United States and in other countries are changing rapidly; one source for the current US laws is https://www.deathwithdignity.org/learn/death-with-dignity-acts/. Given the laws where you live, discuss whether or not the laws match your own personal beliefs.
Please cite any information from course readings, videos or lectures using both in-text citations and a References Cited section after your essay (note that the References Cited section does not count towards your page count). A good general rule is to cite anything that isyoure your own opinion. Using the Society for American Archaeology (SAA) citation style is preferred, and can be found at https://documents.saa.org/container/docs/default-source/doc-publications/style-guide/saa-style-guide_updated-july-2018c5062f7e55154959ab57564384bda7de.pdf?sfvrsn=8247640e_6. However, you are welcome to use different citation style if you prefer, as long as it is used consistently and correctly.
- The proposal: Exploting Sustainable Agriculture
- Discussion Post 4
- Analysis of the novel All The Light We Cannot See
- ANALYSE AND IDEATE A2: Individual Report (Jason 17/04/2023)
- Describe the implications of the proposed intervention to nursing education and practice.
- Written Response to Full-Class Reading/Viewing Assignment #2
- compare and contrast essay
- Medical Report Composition
- Find a post (or post a link to) a concept of Communication in Film (photo, short video, brief piece of writing, song, etc –that no one else in the class has posted to the blog yet) related to dealing with coronavirus. You may write about films, songs, etc dealing with isolation, exile, and illness. No two posts can be identical.
- Child Psychology