Purpose: Use your understanding of the brain and the Human Endocrine System to hypothesize about why zombies behave the way they do – why they are so hungry and aggressive.
You’ve watched the videos above and read the rest of the Rappers and Zombies page by now. To begin to try to explain the behavior of zombies, let’s think about the role of the hypothalamus in regulating the release of hormones. Here’s the recap from the video on the Human Endocrine system above:
the hypothalamus releases a hormone that tells the
pituitary gland to
release another hormone into the bloodstream. This
hormone travels the bloodstream and
links with hormone receptor molecules in particular glands/muscles/tissues.
When a particular hormone reaches a certain level in the bloodstream, the hypothalamus either continues to produce or ceases to produce that hormone.
Now, let’s think about some of the hormones that are involved in hunger and appetite. Leptin is a hormone that suppresses the appetite. The higher the leptin levels, the lower the food intake. Ghrelin is a hormone that increases the appetite. It increases before meals and essentially tells the stomach to tell us that we’re hungry.
The brain scan in the Walking Dead scene shows that there is just enough electrical activity to stimulate the hypothalamus. Additionally, the activity from the brain scan also shows stimulation in the limbic system, which houses the amygdala. Finally, note that the activity does not travel very far through the cerebral cortex, particularly the frontal lobes (the seat of civilization), where judgment occurs.
Given what you know about hormones, the limbic system, amygdala, and frontal lobes, explain the zombies’ hunger, aggression, and lack of inhibition.
Be sure to incorporate content from the module and/or the chapter text into your work. Including direct quotes and paraphrases from the assigned readings and videos in the module is a good way to demonstrate that you have read and thought about the material. Check APA Citation Help for examples of how to cite different sources in APA format.
When referencing a source, you can first use an in-text citation like “According to the OpenStax text (2020),” or “Spielman et al. (2020) describe….” Then provide the citation for your source at the bottom of your post using the following format (you can copy the citation below and insert the page number(s) within the parentheses for the chapter text):
Spielman, R. M., Jenkins, W. J., & Lovett, M. D. (2020). Psychology 2e (pp. #-#). OpenStax. https://openstax.org/details/books/psychology-2e
Once you have posted your initial response (of at least 150-250 words), read several of your classmates’ messages and reply substantively and thoughtfully to at least two of your peers’ posts.
Criteria on which I will be graded
thoroughly explained the zombies’ behavior using your knowledge of the brain and endocrine systems
connected your answers to the material and content in this lesson and cited your sources correctly
responded to at least two of your classmates and contributed to the conversation in a substantial or meaningful way
- Write an analysis providing evidence and a rationale that a selected gap in practice is in fact the root of a business’s problem.
- Write a 1500-2000 word research proposal (approx. 5-8 pages) in which you will develop a research question based on the theoretical insights of one of the theorists we are learning about.
- Based on your interactions with the health care system, describe which model reflects the prevailing processes in your country.
- Work on a plan to advise an agency or organization or a community or a business on how to be more trauma-informed – and why it will be helpful. Think more deeply about how you can apply what we are covering in this introductory course into your own personal experience.
- Write an essay on “Putting Up with Hate is One Price of Free Speech” Make an argument either for or against “outrageous” speech being protected under the First Amendment. 1443358 4 hours ago Please write using simple words
- Write an essay reporting your efforts to find evidence of facilitative communicative acts in the recorded history of a group of people who worked on a project that eventually turned out to be highly successful. Describe and analyze 5 acts from the article by Raffi Khatchadourian, “We Know How You Feel,” that could be facilitative communicative acts that demonstrate why or how the team was successful.
- Prepare a planning sheet for Physical for toddlers, Teaching goal and Context area(whole child).
- Summarize seperately the following link into your own words.
- What is the claim related to globalization that you are choosing for your final paper?
- Demonstrate a critical awareness of research-based frameworks about learning