1. Did you download the syllabus and enjoy the overview?
2. Have you ever taken a Philosophy course before? What kind?
Please give 1-2 Paragraphs for each question
The Ethical Life (TEL, 4
1. What are the three signs that an action or perspective is morally condemnable according to
Appiah? (Starts on 225)
2. Please rank in order of importance for you the four morally condemnable contenders.
Explain why you ranked them that way.
Hedonism by Mill
1. According to Mill, pleasure, and freedom from pain, are the only things desirable as ends. Is he
right is that how we all make decisions? Can you think of any counterexamples? (12)
2. After claiming that the Greatest-Happiness Principle determines whether actions are right or
wrong Mill asks us to contemplate whether there are deeper and longer lasting pleasures.
Why is this important for his kind of Hedonism? (11-13)
3. Why is it better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a pig satisfied? Expand on Mills argument
4. Overall: Mill conflates Happiness and Pleasure are they the same things as is claimed by Mill?
The Experience Machine by Nozick
1. Nozick takes the opposite position as Mill. Explain his central thesis of we want to do certain
things as a counter to Mills Greater-Happiness Principle? (22).
2. Would you get into the machine? Why or why not?
In week one some of you are still waiting on books. Here is the original essay by Appiah from the Washington
Weeks 1 Ethics (Online)
Study Guide & Journal
Free-write 10-15 minutes linking the question and/or quote with this weeks readings and
discussions. Focusing on analysis.
Handwritten answer and insert a picture of what you wrote into this Word document.
…human nature is so constituted as to desire nothing which not either a part of happiness or a means
of happiness, we can have no other proof, and we require no other… (Mill, 19).
- Identify a similar or dissimilar experience between Rodriguez and Anzaldua.
- Write a general reflection (there are no pre-determined prompts for this book) on this week’s assigned readings of The Guide For White Women Who Teach Black Boys text.
- Discuss any symbols or constants that you are familiar with, but used in a context you aren’t familiar with.
- What do naturalism and normativism say about the concept of health?
- Write a personal essay for the admissions office of Saint John’s Highschool.
- History: African American History to 1865 Chapter 4,5 and 6 Summary
- Silent Film Age
- After reflecting on the links ( articles and videos), write out the five focus questions one by one (listed below), and under each question write out your answers (write 2-4 typed pages total).
- What are the advantages of alternative assets with regards to Markowitz portfolio theory?
- How might agricultural activities contribute to the greenhouse effect and global warming?