1. Did you download the syllabus and enjoy the overview?
2. Have you ever taken a Philosophy course before? What kind?
Please give 1-2 Paragraphs for each question
The Ethical Life (TEL, 4
1. What are the three signs that an action or perspective is morally condemnable according to
Appiah? (Starts on 225)
2. Please rank in order of importance for you the four morally condemnable contenders.
Explain why you ranked them that way.
Hedonism by Mill
1. According to Mill, pleasure, and freedom from pain, are the only things desirable as ends. Is he
right is that how we all make decisions? Can you think of any counterexamples? (12)
2. After claiming that the Greatest-Happiness Principle determines whether actions are right or
wrong Mill asks us to contemplate whether there are deeper and longer lasting pleasures.
Why is this important for his kind of Hedonism? (11-13)
3. Why is it better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a pig satisfied? Expand on Mills argument
4. Overall: Mill conflates Happiness and Pleasure are they the same things as is claimed by Mill?
The Experience Machine by Nozick
1. Nozick takes the opposite position as Mill. Explain his central thesis of we want to do certain
things as a counter to Mills Greater-Happiness Principle? (22).
2. Would you get into the machine? Why or why not?
In week one some of you are still waiting on books. Here is the original essay by Appiah from the Washington
Weeks 1 Ethics (Online)
Study Guide & Journal
Free-write 10-15 minutes linking the question and/or quote with this weeks readings and
discussions. Focusing on analysis.
Handwritten answer and insert a picture of what you wrote into this Word document.
…human nature is so constituted as to desire nothing which not either a part of happiness or a means
of happiness, we can have no other proof, and we require no other… (Mill, 19).
- Research and Support Material Worksheet
- Discuss and demonstrate professional demeanor in your writing and critical thought throughout your paper.
- Write a paper on Dystopia how food prices are going up.
- Explain how well you support your assertions, did you provide examples, how well did you contextualize the content, and how well did you employ ‘terms of art’.
- Discuss the major points made in the essay and evaluate whether you agree or disagree with the author’s overall conclusion.
- Write a research paper on recognize the relationship of criminal justice system components and processes with society and government.
- Write a research paper on the effects of child abuse within the family.
- Discuss the difference between homologues and analogues structures (including divergent and convergent evolution).
- Is a degree from an online college or university as legitimate as a degree from a brick-and-mortar university?
- Write history books covering any theme in US History from the colonial years through the late 1860s.