Chapter 12: Gender and Sexual Orientation Differences
As we have seen, people often turn to addictions to escape some unpleasant reality in their life. For Siggy it was job loss, Fran wanted to escape the trauma of child abuse. What if someone is finding acceptance with themselves, but struggling with a society and possibly loved ones who dont accept them for who they are? Sadly this is an unpleasant reality for many people who identify as LGBTQ+. This does not mean all people in this population abuse drugs, just that we need to be aware of this stigma and to help this at risk population avoid drug use as well. Please therefore look at this case to determine the cause and the risks for LGBTQ+ individuals.
Read the following case study:
Hal Crisp is a 19-year-old young man who thinks he might be gay and likes to go clubbing. His parents disapprove of this, not only because they are embarrassed, but because they think that the ecstasy, meth, and other drugs at the clubs are dangerous. Hal says that he goes clubbing because thats the only place he feels accepted. He says he certainly does not feel accepted by his family.
Refer to the following guide: “A Practitioners Resource Guide: Helping Families to Support Their LGBT Children” (produced by Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration – SAMHSA):
Using what you have learned in the above resource guide, and in Chapter 12, and this week’s field trip, write a 300-word top-level post that responds to the following questions in ESSAY format:
How would you approach this client and this case as an addiction counselor?
Do you think Hal is at risk for addiction? Why or why not? (Be sure to FOCUS ONLY on the information provided in the case study. Do not make assumptions!)
What special considerations would you keep in mind given that this client might be struggling with his sexual orientation?
Would you involve the parents? Why or why not? If so, how?
- Comparative Analysis of Bertolt Brecht’s ‘Mother Courage’ and Lynn Nottage’s ‘Ruined’ in Contemporary Theater Essay
- Top Strategies for Launching and Managing a Successful Lawn Mowing Business Essay
- Critical Analysis of Intimate Partner Violence’s Impact on Pregnancy and Mental Health Research Article Critique
- Enhancing Therapy for Autism, Cerebral Palsy, and More Essay
- The Power of Practical Benefits in Buddhism: A Path to Reduced Suffering and Enhanced Well-Being Essay
- In-Depth Analysis of Google Inc.’s Organizational Behavior Research
- The Impact of Social Media and Technology on Young Americans Essay
- Empowering Diversity: Overcoming Challenges and Personal Reflections Essay
- The Complexities of the Hong Kong-China Border: A Case for Hong Kong’s Independence Essay
- Exploring the Viability of Opening a Baby Store in Ronkonkoma, NY Research