SURVEY II, ESSAY EXAM ONE: UNIT ONE, VOLUME C
INSTRUCTIONS: In response to each
question below, write a two-paragraph response, delving into all texts
necessary to support your assertions. You must include quotes (direct usage of the
text) in your paragraphs in order to score well. Please include a basic MLA
citation after each quote (authors last name and page number). BE SURE TO RESPOND TO ALL PARTS OF EACH
In Editha, by William Dean Howell what is the central conflict
between Editha and Gearson? How do their feelings about war differ, and why
(discuss each character separately)? Finally, how might their conflict relate
to modern-day debates in America about war (be specific in your argument)?
In The Real Thing, by Henry James the narrator suffers an
artistic dilemma, as well as a moral one, as he begins to create portraits of
his new subjects. First, explain EACH dilemma. Then, discuss how similar
dilemmas might be present in our own culture, or our individual lives, today.
In A New England Nun, Mary Eleanor Wilkins Freeman. Louisa breaks off her
engagement to maintain her solitary life. Compare and contrast her character
with Louise Mallard in The Story of an Hour (go beyond a mere
comparison/contrast of their circumstances; delve into character psychology).
Compare and contrast the messages being conveyed by these two authors.
What messages about Nature and mankind are
conveyed in The Open Boat by Stephen Crane? (How do the men perceive it? How does this
perception change over time?) Pay specific attention to what the correspondent in
particular takes from his experience battling Nature. What does he learn? In
what way does he change? Finally, what is your personal response to the
authors messages about Nature and mankind?
T To be able to access these stories go to https://brytewave.redshelf.com/
The book that you would use would be “The Norton Anthology of American Literature”
- Comparative Analysis of Bertolt Brecht’s ‘Mother Courage’ and Lynn Nottage’s ‘Ruined’ in Contemporary Theater Essay
- Top Strategies for Launching and Managing a Successful Lawn Mowing Business Essay
- Critical Analysis of Intimate Partner Violence’s Impact on Pregnancy and Mental Health Research Article Critique
- Enhancing Therapy for Autism, Cerebral Palsy, and More Essay
- The Power of Practical Benefits in Buddhism: A Path to Reduced Suffering and Enhanced Well-Being Essay
- In-Depth Analysis of Google Inc.’s Organizational Behavior Research
- The Impact of Social Media and Technology on Young Americans Essay
- Empowering Diversity: Overcoming Challenges and Personal Reflections Essay
- The Complexities of the Hong Kong-China Border: A Case for Hong Kong’s Independence Essay
- Exploring the Viability of Opening a Baby Store in Ronkonkoma, NY Research