Write a critical analysis of the book Until I am Free: Fannie Lou Hamer’s Enduring Message to America by Keisha N. Blain.
Questions to Consider
1. Who is Fannie Lou Hamer? What does her life tell us about African American life?
2. In what ways does Fannie Lou Hamer’s struggle for freedom reflect the larger
struggle of African Americans to gain rights in American society?
3. What role do class and gender play in shaping the life of Fannie Lou Hamer?
4. Why do you think Fannie Lou Hamer is less well known than other civil rights
5. Reflecting on the title of the book, what was Fannie Lou Hamer’s message for
America? Do you agree with author Keisha N. Blain that it is enduring.
6. Author Keisha N. Blain makes the argument that Fannie Lou Hamer fought against many of the issues that African Americans continue to face today (police brutality,
voter suppression, etc.). Please select at least one issue that African Americans face in 2022 and discuss how Fannie Lou Hamer fought against it in her lifetime.
In your essay, you must include at least FOUR (4) specific examples from the book (include page numbers).
● Your paper should be 5 to 7 pages in length, double-spaced using 12-point font and
one inch margins.
● Please include page numbers.
● Properly cite your sources. If you use Freedom on My Mind, weekly remarks or any
additional outside source, provide a “Works Cited” page.
● If you directly quote a sentence, put it in quotation marks and in parentheses after the sentence put the author (or authors) of the source’s last name and the page number. For example, Blain stated, “Racism is terrible” (Blain 41).
If you have any further questions about this assignment (or you would just like some feedback as you work on your essay), feel free to contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org)
You are also encouraged to visit the writing center for additional support. Hudson Hall, Room 503 (email@example.com).
- Literacy Integration
- Care Coordination at the End-of-Life
- How do divergent immigration statuses (undocumented, lawful immigrant, U.S. citizen) among family members affect family relationships?
- Unit 3 Learning Strategies Powerpoint
- Variable Sales Forecast Model
- Integral theory
- Nature of Libraries and information science
- Acute Stress, Grief and Trauma –
- Organizational chart and Stakeholder relationship diagram
- Which of these stories stood out to you the most? Why? What are you still curious or confused about?