Write a three-page paper that shows how cultural competence of a social work clinician can support social justice or contribute to racism. This assignment is related to Competencies #1 and #3 and Dimensions of Knowledge and Values.
This assignment asks you to (1) define cultural competence of the social work clinician.
In your paper you want to (2) describe cultural competence of the social worker and how it affects the relationship with the client
You want to include in your paper an example of (3) how social injustice can affect a soldier or sailor.
Also (4) discuss the difference in treatment success of the client depending upon whether a social worker is culturally competent or not competent.
(5) If the social worker is not culturally competent how does that contribute to a racist relationship of the client and the social worker.
(6) explain how competencies 1 and 3 relate to your answers
Competency 1: Demonstrate Ethical and Professional Behavior
Social workers understand the value base of the profession and its ethical standards, as well as relevant laws and regulations that may impact practice at the micro, mezzo, and macro levels. Social workers understand ethical decision-making frameworks and how to apply principles of critical thinking to those frameworks in practice, research, and policy arenas. Social workers recognize personal values and the distinction between personal and professional values. They also understand how their personal experiences and affective reactions influence their professional judgment and behavior. Social workers understand the profession’s history, its mission, and the roles and responsibilities of the profession. Social Workers also understand the role of other professions when engaged in inter-professional teams. Social workers recognize the importance of lifelong learning and continually update their skills to ensure relevant and practical. Social workers also understand emerging forms of technology and their ethical use in social work practice.
make ethical decisions by applying the standards of the NASW Code of Ethics, relevant laws and regulations, models for ethical decision-making, ethical conduct of research, and additional codes of ethics as appropriate to the context;
use reflection and self-regulation to manage personal values and maintain professionalism in practice situations;
demonstrate professional demeanor in behavior; appearance; and oral, written, and electronic communication;
use technology ethically and appropriately to facilitate practice outcomes; and
use supervision and consultation to guide professional judgment and behavior.
Competency 3: Advance Human Rights and Social, Economic, and Environmental Justice
Social workers understand that every person, regardless of position in society, has fundamental human rights such as freedom, safety, privacy, an adequate standard of living, health care, and education. Social workers understand the global interconnections of oppression and human rights violations. They are knowledgeable about theories of human need and social justice and strategies to promote social and economic justice and human rights. Social workers understand systems designed to eliminate oppressive structural barriers to ensure that social goods, rights, and responsibilities are distributed equitably and that civil, political, environmental, economic, social, and cultural human rights are protected. Social workers:7 8 2015 Educational Policy and Accreditation Standards SOCIAL WORK COMPETENCIES
apply their understanding of social, economic, and environmental justice to advocate for human rights at the individual and system levels; and
engage in practices that advance social, economic, and environmental justice.
- What variation in the number and kind of aggression (e.g. physical, relational, manipulative, etc.) did you observe?
- Write a research paper outlining the five main purposes of case management.
- Write a research paper that examines root cause analysis and affinity diagrams.
- What questions do you have for your faculty member and course colleagues about publishing your research and the DTP Workshop?
- Write a research paper outlining the significance of observing both verbal and nonverbal cues in conversation.
- Write a research report addressing the question: Is metformin (intervention) a more effective way to manage type 2 diabetes in older people (population) than chlorpropamide (comparator)?
- Compose a study describing how to handle a challenge in a presentation.
- Write a research paper that examines the Intelligence Case Study “Colin Powell’s speech at the United Nations on February 5, 2003.”
- Write a research paper on the interactions and overlaps between leadership and communications.
- Write a research paper on the topic of student-centered learning facilitation.