7. Edo Popular Culture: The Floating World and Beyond (late 17th to mid-19th centuries)
8. Facing and Embracing the West (1850s–1900s)
Wasserstrom and Cunningham (2018)
Schools of Thought
Platt (2018) “New Domestic and Global Challenges, 1792-1860.”
Bickers (2018) “Restoration and Reform, 1860-1900.”
Part 1: My Top Three MITs (Most Interesting/Important Topics/Events)
Identify the three topics or events from these chapters that you found to be most interesting or important and briefly discuss what you found particularly interesting or important about them and why. Choose no more than one MIT from any given reading (take the above as a total of four readings). Format Part 1 using bullets or numbering, as below:
Part 2: My ChinaJapan Illustration
Find a current “cultural artifact” about China or Japan today–a story, article, book, website, film, piece of music or literature, etc., etc.–that in your view illustrates how one of your MITs continues to be relevant or present or somehow impactful in China or Japan today. Discuss this connection. How would you account for the continuing presence of your topic in today’s world as illustrated by your cultural artifact? What’s it doing in today’s world? What other functions, connections, or contradictions do you see? Think creatively and critically. Format Part 2 using one or more standard paragraphs.
- Describe the various methods advertisers use to segment and aggregate markets.
- Discuss the prognosis for a child born who is afflicted with the developmental problem that you choose to talk about.
- Compare the importance of infrastuture on both country.
- Explain how Steinbeck uses the chrysanthemums as a symbol (perhaps both cultural and contextual?) that provides insight into Elisa.
- Explain if you plan to conduct a regression analysis or correlation or t-test, and the measurements you plan to use You will be utilizing descriptive analysis and using descriptive statistics within Data Analysis in Excel (mean, median, standard deviation analysis, minimum, maximum).
- What factors might promote or slow down brain development?
- Compare and contrast the various leadership styles and evaluate how such styles can impact employee performance.
- Write an example of Jewish or Early Christian Art, formally analyze the artistic developments based on the following: materials, composition, color, spatial qualities, etc.
- Explain how you would introduce this topic to catch the audience’s attention and keep them engaged in the presentation.
- Describe something you learned from the documentary and how that impacted you.