The final assignment requires you to self-assess the knowledge and skills you have acquired throughout this course. You will reflect on fundamental STEM in early childhood education concepts, best practices, tools, resources, class discussions and implemented activities. In writing, you will demonstrate the knowledge and skills you gained through research and applications of the STEM course topics. You will have two weeks (Units 6 and 7) to compile a written report comprised of the following 8 components.
Write a reflective written response for each of the following 8 components. Organize your report using the item numbers with your answers below each.
1. Developmentally Appropriate Topics
In Unit 2, you began working on the topic that you selected to focus STEM inquiries for children. Reflect on how you used the topic to engage children’s interest and curiosity. Provide an example from your work in the Unit 2 “Activity Plan or Picture Books” assignments. Comment on why it is important to select developmentally appropriate topics for early childhood STEM curriculum. (NAEYC 1c)
2. Virtual Field Trip
Unit 3 required you to plan a virtual field trip (VFT) and implement a Math or Science lesson at home. Reflect on how technology is used to support and document child inquiry. Describe how you used technology effectively with children using examples from your work in the Unit 3 “Analog and Digital Technology assignment” and “Virtual Field Trip” discussion. (NAEYC 6c)
The Unit 4 ”Bucket Challenge” discussion activity required you to assess and problem solve to achieve a goal. Reflect on what this experience taught you about: 1) the role of assessment, and 2) use of children’s background and prior
knowledge or experience for planning curriculum. Provide a detailed example from the discussion that illustrates how teachers effectively utilize both in designing challenging STEM experiences and planning teaching strategies for young children. Include a course resource in your example. (NAEYC 3a)
4. Family and Community Involvement
In the Unit 4 ”Makerspace” discussion and the Unit 7 ”Learning Center” discussion, you identified specific ways to involve children’s families and the community. Explain what you learned from the unit readings and discussions about why it is important to plan authentic ways to involve families and community in STEM inquiries. Describe two benefits to children’s development and learning that are gained through family and community involvement. Include specific ways in which families are supported as their children’s first teachers. (NAEYC 2c)
5. Math Talk Outdoors
In Unit 5, you examined authentic play in both indoor and outdoor environments as a critical best practice underlying children’s learning of STEM concepts. Articulate how you used the outdoor playground environment in Unit 5 to promote children’s meaningful “math talk”. Why is this an appropriate and effective strategy for helping young children to learn math concepts? (NAEYC 5a)
In the Unit 6 discussion, you provisioned an environment with new and/or repurposed materials to direct child interest, inquiry and problem solving about a topic. Reflect on the connection between the topic, concept or learning fact and the materials that you identified. Why is it important to start with a topic and related concept or learning fact when provisioning the learning environment? What is the role of material selection and placement to get children involved in learning about and problem solving in STEM? (NAEYC 4b)
In the Units 3, 4, and 5 STEM Resources & Teaching Reflection assignments you were asked to select from the wide body of professional literature in STEM and early education. Reflect on how the articles helped you integrate different concepts, strategies and techniques. Using two resources, briefly describe how they have helped you to inform your own philosophy for teaching STEM to young children. Give an example of something that you learned that you will use in your current or future teaching practice. Share an example of a change in your
thinking that resulted from this assignment. What did you think before and what do you think now? What were your “Aha’s”? (NAEYC 6d)
In Unit 7 you explored KWHL charts. Reflect on how KWHL charts are used to involve children in planning STEM inquiries that engage their interests, curiosity and inform the design of learning centers. Discuss why this approach and planning tool are developmentally effective for early education learning environments. (NAEYC 4c)
• Your report should include the numbered items and your reflective written
response underneath each.
• Submit a Word document in APA 7 format with Title Page and Reference Page.
• 4-5 pages in length, excluding the Title and Reference pages.
- Research and Support Material Worksheet
- Discuss and demonstrate professional demeanor in your writing and critical thought throughout your paper.
- Write a paper on Dystopia how food prices are going up.
- Explain how well you support your assertions, did you provide examples, how well did you contextualize the content, and how well did you employ ‘terms of art’.
- Discuss the major points made in the essay and evaluate whether you agree or disagree with the author’s overall conclusion.
- Write a research paper on recognize the relationship of criminal justice system components and processes with society and government.
- Write a research paper on the effects of child abuse within the family.
- Discuss the difference between homologues and analogues structures (including divergent and convergent evolution).
- Is a degree from an online college or university as legitimate as a degree from a brick-and-mortar university?
- Write history books covering any theme in US History from the colonial years through the late 1860s.