Preparing the assignment
1. Follow these guidelines when completing this assignment. Speak with your faculty member if you have questions.
a. Select a Speak Up brochure from The Joint Commission website.
b. Write a short paper reviewing the brochure. Use the Grading Criteria (below) to structure your critique.
c. Include current nursing or healthcare journal article to support your critique.
2. Include the following sections
a. Introduction of brochure (3 points/6%)
i. Includes brochure title
ii. Identifies date published
iii. Describes individuals or groups
iv. Brochure properly cited, included on reference list, and submitted with assignment
b. Summary of article (5 points/ 10%) -brochure citation required
i. Explain the main topics discussed
c. Communication (5 points/10 %) -brochure citation required
i. Review information that promotes communication between patients and healthcare providers
d. Personal Reflection (2 points /4%)
i. Why did this topic interest you?
e. Evaluation of brochure (14 points/28% total (2 points each) (Brochure & nursing article must be cited)
i. Was the information provided in the brochure beneficial? Could you incorporate it in your patient
ii. What was done well, and what could have been improved in the brochure?
iii. Was the information presented clearly?
iv. Did current nursing or healthcare related research article support the information presented in the
v. What population or individuals does this article apply to (i.e., who will benefit the most from this
vi. Who else can use this information?
vii. Will this information increase patient safety?
f. Evidence Review & Application (5 points/10% total)
i. Evidence was integrated from a recent (5 years) scholarly nursing journal article to support your answers.
g. Conclusion (5 points/10%)
i. Restates main ideas
ii. Includes supporting information from body of paper iii. Summarizes the benefits of following the brochure’s advice to a person at risk
h. APA style and structure (2 points/4%)
i. Adheres to current APA edition formatting guidelines for title page, margins, in-text citations, and
ii. Section headers are required
a. Summary of Brochure
b. Patient Communication
c. Personal Reflection
d. Evaluation of Brochure
e. Evidence Review and Application
iii. Paper is no longer than three (3) pages, excluding title page, reference page, and copy of brochure
a. Extra pages will not be read or contribute to the assignment grade
i. Clarity of writing (9 points/18%)
i. Proper use of Standard English
ii. Shows original thought
iii. No spelling or grammar errors
iv. Information presented in a logical progression
For writing assistance (APA, formatting, or grammar) visit the Citing Library Sources page in the online library.
Please note that your instructor may provide you with additional assessments in any form to determine that you
fully understand the concepts learned in the review module
- Evaluating teaching programs
- Admission Essay to medical school
- Describe how a logistics alliance would be implemented, maintained, and eventually terminated between aviation-related companies.
- Discussion Thread: Academic versus Applied Research
- Blog: Writing a Profile of a Place
- HR400 Stages of the Interview Process
- McDonald’s Customer Centricity Case Study
- HR400-4: Assess how employment tools and documentation are used for employee selection
- Wrong patient, wrong site, wrong procedure events have decreased in most hospitals. However, they continue at Mercy. What is the most common reason this is occurring? What can be done to decrease this sentinel event? And who should be responsible?
- What issues of safety existed that are common to most hospitals?