Margaret Crain Main Post
1. BRIEFLY (this means “summarize”) share a client case/activity worked on (or observed) this week, highlighting the presenting problem of that case. Be sure to discuss any clients in a confidential manner (no names, unique case specifics, etc.)
This week I met with foster youth Joe whom I visit weekly at his foster home to see how he is doing in the household. This foster youth is an 18 years old non-minor dependent who has social anxiety, mild depression, and isolates himself in his room all day playing video games. This youth takes 4 different medications every day to help him with his anxieties. On this day I needed to talk to him about properly storing his medications because he shares a room with a minor dependent and two other minors in the home.
2. What engagement skills were identified?
The engagement skill that I used while addressing the medication storage issue was active listening and warmth. Joe became instantly angered and annoyed because this issue has been addressed several times by other social workers and his foster mom. I observed how his communication instantly changed from calm to irritated quickly. One of Joe’s goals is to become more independent and responsible. In a warm and trusting manner, I explained to him that being responsible means properly storing medication to ensure the safety of other kids in the home and that this is a step towards being a responsible adult.
3. How did power, privilege, oppression, and/or intersectionality impact engagement with the client?
This young man has been in the foster care system since he was 8 years old. Intersectionality helps to shine a light on Improving outcomes for foster youth by actively working to reduce systemic bias, racism, and discrimination.
4. What significant issues did you address/encounter (either directly or observed)?
One of Joes goals to to work on being more independent and responsible. However, his behavior in refusing to lock up his medication is showing his lack of resposibility.
5. How was the issue addressed (e.g. what was accomplished)?
The issue was addressed by explaining to him safety measures put in place at the home regarding medication storage, especially when minors are in the home, and that the home must be in compliance with community care licensing in order to continue being a foster home.
6. What social work knowledge/skills/values (KSVs) were utilized to address this issue? Make sure to identify the KSVs with professional language and references (e.g. social work terms, methods, approaches, interventions).
Building a trusting relationship with your client is key to getting them to open up. According to the readings, “The major tasks of this phase are to build rapport, establish trust, and establish a mutually respectful relationship. This may require overcoming the client’s feelings of suspicion, distrust, or anger due to past oppression by members of the worker’s ethnic group or more generally by people in authority, which the worker represents.”
7. What did you learn professionally and personally (answer both)
I’ve learned that social workers respect and promote the right of clients to self-determination and assist clients in their efforts to identify and clarify their goals. (NASW). Personally, it is important for a social worker to engage and secure the client’s trust to bring the helping relationship to a greater height.
Potocky, M., & Naseh, M. (2019). Best practices for social work with refugees and immigrants. Columbia University Press. Read pp.137-138 on engagement.
an hour ago
week 5 discussion board reply post
- Discuss about the initiatives and strategies carried out by urban management in Xiapu city to build social resilience to post-pandemic mental health issues by applying good governance principles.
- Discuss the underlying arguments behind Piotroski F-Score.
- Write a discussion paper on the risk of reopening school amid covid.
- . Research the work of Fiedler on contingency theory, and respond to the following questions: Communicate your understanding of contingency theory.
- Based on your instructor-approved topic in Module 1, draft a one-to-two sentences argumentative thesis statement. Write a full-sentence outline in outline format with at least three main arguments or support (see the arguments you included in your thesis statement).
- Write at least two solid paragraphs but more is recommended to get full credit.
- Consider how you will track the effectiveness of the budget, finance, and capital planning programs, including performance measures, revenue forecasting, estimation, and public awareness and interaction. To develop the plan, use any tool which can depict timelines and dependencies, including Google Sheet, Microsoft Project or PowerPoint, or Asana.
- What does it mean to experience a major shift in human nature?
- Explain and evaluate why authentic leadership is important to contingency theory.
- Consider how you will track the effectiveness of the budget, finance, and capital planning programs, including performance measures, revenue forecasting, estimation, and public awareness and interaction.