MPH Foundational Competencies (CEPH)
Upon successful completion of this discussion, you should be able to:
Propose strategies to identify stakeholders and build coalitions and partnerships for influencing public health outcomes (CEPH.13)
Apply principles of leadership, governance, and management, which include creating a vision, empowering others, fostering collaboration, and guiding decision making (CEPH.16)
Textbook: Master of Public Health Competencies: A Case Study Approach, Chapter 16
Website: Toolkit #1Creating and Maintaining Coalitions and Partnerships
For this discussion, you will analyze a case study in public health from the textbook, Master of Public Health Competencies: A Case Study Approach, edited by Santella. Please review the following case study from this text:
Chapter 16: Collaboration Among County Health Department Directors to Formulate Realistic Response Plans in the Event of Mosquito-Borne Zika Outbreaks.
This case study was based on real public health initiatives. Therefore, your engagement in this discussion will help you hone workforce-related skills for public health practice.
For your initial/main post, please address all of the following questions:
Strategies to Identify Stakeholders (100 words): Given the case study, please address the following:
Which stakeholders were excluded from this process?
How could the process of identifying stakeholders have been improved?
Leadership and Decision Making (100 words): Given the case study, please address the following:
What efforts were made to empower others, foster collaboration, and guide decision making? Please explain.
Other than what was used in the case study, what approaches or strategies would you use to empower others, foster collaboration, and guide decision making? Please explain.
Coalition Building (100 words): Given the case study, please address the following:
Imagine that you are spearheading the formation of a community coalition. Which stakeholders would you target for strategic partnerships? Why?
While establishing a coalition, why is it necessary to solidify the coalitions vision and mission? Create a draft vision statement for the coalitionas an example.
In all posts, please make certain to include in-text citations throughout and a reference list.
Collaborate with your classmates on this case study within your reply posts. Please further the discussion by offering suggestions, elaborating on points made, presenting additional evidence/information, asking open-ended questions, etc.
- Write an article “Why there is a worldwide shortage of vanilla” by C.D. in The Economist.
- What were the most surprising things you learned from this article?
- Write a research essay explaining how one theme in the novel Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler provides insight into or comments on our contemporary world.
- Write a book review of the insecure city: space, power, and mobility in Beirut.
- What is most important to you about a bank – swag/freebies, customer service, lowest/competitive rates, or ease of online access/app usage?
- Briefly describe other elements of the work(s): the form, the style of language, verisimilitude, and other elements we’ve discussed in class.
- Write a research paper on drug use among first generation college student.
- Explain why Recreational Marijuana Should Be Legal?
- Write a research paper on whether the healthcare should be a fundamental human right.
- Discuss some of the factors that lead to the acceptance of false beliefs as well as some of the factors that lead us to recognize and reject false beliefs.