And the attached reading
This week’s discussion question will be, “Why should we care about the impending extinction of local languages?”
In roughly 150-200 words, citing specific examples from the readings from Baker, Dixon, and Crystal, explain the value of local languages. By “local,” I mean the nonstandard forms of language, particularly those that aren’t represented by any state authority, which are generally geographically limited in their distribution. These are sometimes called “languages,” sometimes called “dialects,” largely on the basis of social or political considerations, not linguistic ones. You will not receive full credit for participation if you do not address the material covered in the readings, citing them by the author and page numbers.
You will also be expected to offer a response to one of your classmates. This can take the form of a counterpoint (disagreeing with your classmate’s position, and offering evidence to the contrary), or a supporting argument (offering additional information to support the claim of your classmate). For this response, you need not be limited to the material covered in this week’s readings.
I look forward to your responses.
- What gender differences/similarities do we see in verbal messages? Throughout the text, gender differences are discussed in a wide variety of contexts. One researcher distinguishes three perspectives on gender differences in communication. Which pers
- Health systems management
- Utilitarianism essay on voluntary prostitution
- Rime of the ancient mariner
- Marine Biology Research Idea
- Difference between employee and general contractor
- Development Emotions History
- Week Three: ‘Killer Robot’ Paper
- International Food & Culture (The Mother Sauces)