Welcome to Module #10! For this we are going to see some overlap between politics and economics; in fact, there is a field of study called “Political Economy.” That said, here’s what to do:
1. First, watch Requiem for the American Dream.
2. Watch my lecture on “Authority and the State.”
3. Watch my Zoom Recording on the election of Donald Trump.
4. Watch the PBS Frontline documentary, “American Insurrection.”
(Links to an external site.)
5. For your module reflection
In your discussion of Requiem for the American Dream, summarize the “Ten Principles of Concentration of Wealth and Power.” What principle did you find most thought-provoking, and why? Do you agree with Chomsky that political power is concentrated in the hands of the economically powerful? Connect the points in the documentary to Chapter 14 in our textbook on Economic Sociology regarding Political Economy. Do you agree with Chomsky’s solution to the problem (watch carefully at the end)?
In your discussion of my lecture on Authority and the State, regarding the United States which model were you raised to believe in? Which model seems most accurate to you now? Do you agree with Gelins and Page? Why or why not?
Discuss the people who support(ed) Donald Trump by referring to my lecture on “The Election of Donald Trump,” Arlie Hochschild’s “No Country for White Men,” and “American Insurrection.” Who are Trump’s supporters, and why do they support him? Why do you think some Trump supporters, but not all of them, organized and/or engaged in a violent insurrection?
Above I instructed you to refer to Chapter 14 in A Sociology Experiment and “No Country for White Men.” In your reflection somewhere make sure you refer to the rest of the readings:
A Sociology Experiment, Ch. 11, “Political Sociology”
Readings for Sociology, Ch.24, “The Birth of the New American Aristocracy”
Readings for Sociology, Ch.34, “The Black Family in the Age of Mass Incarceration”
- Discuss the ethical considerations relating to surrogate motherhood and contraception.
- How can students improve their reading skill by using Metacognitive strategies
- Describe a quality improvement program you would design in your LTC facility and why you chose that particular measure? Who would you include on your team? Focus on choosing an area that aligns with one of the 6 AIMS.
- Quality and lean operation
- Customer service skills response
- Health Care Ethics Case Studies
- The Maus I&II by Spiegelman begins with Hitler’s quote: “The Jews are undoubtedly a race, but they are not human.”
- Find Trends in Your Profession (My desired profession is HR)
- Hilbert Spaces
- utilitarian argument