Choose 2 of the three following questions to answer in the space provided below:
1) There were several reasons that the agricultural economy in Europe, and especially in Western Europe, began producing larger surpluses in the early modern period (in particular in the 1600s and 1700s). First, explain the main reasons for the increased production of agricultural surplus and give examples to support your response. Then, briefly explain some of the consequences of this development (be sure to give and explain your examples).
2) Define Absolutism in your own words. What were the fundamental ideas of Absolutism? Explain these ideas. What were some of the most important examples of Absolutist policies in practice? Be sure to explain why these examples.
3) What basic assumptions developed during the Scientific Revolution about nature and about how we gain knowledge became underlying principles of Enlightenment? Be sure to explain these ideas/principles, and be sure to give and explain examples. Based upon these underlying principles, what sorts of institutions did Enlightenment thinkers criticize and why (give and explain examples).
Please use the book:
Western Civilizations: Their History and Their Culture, Brief Fourth Edition
Joshua Cole and Carol Symes
W. W. Norton & Company, Inc.
- Evolution of Fire Academies Post ‘America Burning Essay
- The Crucial Role of Communication in Sports Teamwork Research
- Comparative Analysis of NFL Protests and Civil Rights Activism Research
- Navigating the Requirements and Trends in Intelligence and Security Employment Analysis
- The Bloods Gang: History, Symbols, and Impact on American Society Essay
- Balancing Social Influence and Evidence-Based Policies Essay
- Unveiling the Truth Behind Imaginative Stereotypes Research
- Analyzing the Disillusionment with the American Dream in Arthur Miller’s ‘Death of a Salesman Essay
- Exploring Themes of Resilience and Education in ‘The Children’s Blizzard’ by Melanie Benjamin Essay
- Diplomacy, Laissez-Faire Capitalism, and the ‘Empire of Liberty’ Research