Choose 2 of the three following questions to answer in the space provided below:
1) There were several reasons that the agricultural economy in Europe, and especially in Western Europe, began producing larger surpluses in the early modern period (in particular in the 1600s and 1700s). First, explain the main reasons for the increased production of agricultural surplus and give examples to support your response. Then, briefly explain some of the consequences of this development (be sure to give and explain your examples).
2) Define Absolutism in your own words. What were the fundamental ideas of Absolutism? Explain these ideas. What were some of the most important examples of Absolutist policies in practice? Be sure to explain why these examples.
3) What basic assumptions developed during the Scientific Revolution about nature and about how we gain knowledge became underlying principles of Enlightenment? Be sure to explain these ideas/principles, and be sure to give and explain examples. Based upon these underlying principles, what sorts of institutions did Enlightenment thinkers criticize and why (give and explain examples).
Please use the book:
Western Civilizations: Their History and Their Culture, Brief Fourth Edition
Joshua Cole and Carol Symes
W. W. Norton & Company, Inc.
- History: African American History to 1865 Chapter 4,5 and 6 Summary
- Silent Film Age
- After reflecting on the links ( articles and videos), write out the five focus questions one by one (listed below), and under each question write out your answers (write 2-4 typed pages total).
- What are the advantages of alternative assets with regards to Markowitz portfolio theory?
- How might agricultural activities contribute to the greenhouse effect and global warming?
- Pilot Program for PrEp
- Take a moment to reflect on this week’s readings (below) and share with us one particular detail that resonated with you. Please interrogate the texts, and your colleague’s posts, with respect and nuance.
- How covid affected people lives psychologically and mentally.
- Research Your State and Local Governments
- Toxicity of acetaminophen