In Project One, you will select a contemporary issue in the social sciences to investigate. You may select an issue discussed in the course, or you may select your
own with instructor approval. You could consider using your question from SCS 100 if it is something you would like to investigate further for this assessment.
After selecting an issue, you will conduct a research investigation, identifying appropriate resources for researching the issue, applying social science principles to
your issue, and developing a question related to the issue. You will submit your research investigation as a written report.
- Write an article “Why there is a worldwide shortage of vanilla” by C.D. in The Economist.
- What were the most surprising things you learned from this article?
- Write a research essay explaining how one theme in the novel Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler provides insight into or comments on our contemporary world.
- Write a book review of the insecure city: space, power, and mobility in Beirut.
- What is most important to you about a bank – swag/freebies, customer service, lowest/competitive rates, or ease of online access/app usage?
- Briefly describe other elements of the work(s): the form, the style of language, verisimilitude, and other elements we’ve discussed in class.
- Write a research paper on drug use among first generation college student.
- Explain why Recreational Marijuana Should Be Legal?
- Write a research paper on whether the healthcare should be a fundamental human right.
- Discuss some of the factors that lead to the acceptance of false beliefs as well as some of the factors that lead us to recognize and reject false beliefs.