Exploring Mental Illness Perspectives
Major theoretical perspectives center around defining dysfunction that occurs leading to mental illness and then seeking to “fix” the dysfunction, referred to as a disease model. Positive psychology takes an alternative approach, which looks at treating mental illness by focusing on strengths rather than weaknesses. Instead of fixing what is wrong, positive psychology focuses on tapping into and utilizing human strengths like courage, optimism, happiness, hope, and resilience to promote change. Martin Seligman, a leader in the positive psychology field, notes, “The aim of positive psychology is to catalyze a change in psychology from a preoccupation only with repairing the worst things in life to also building the best qualities in life.”
What is positive psychology? https://positivepsychologyinstitute.com.au/what-is-positive-psychology
Identify at least one advantage and one disadvantage of approaching mental illness from a disease model.
Identify at least one advantage and disadvantage of approaching mental illness from a positive psychology mindset.
Discuss which approach your own viewpoints most align with in terms of approaching mental illness. Provide your reasoning.
What are some positive psychology techniques that you could use to create a life that promotes psychological happiness and healthiness?
Bridley, A., & Daffin, Jr. , L. (2023, July). Fundamentals of Psychological Disorders.
Positive Psychology. (n.d.).
What is positive psychology?. Positive Psychology Institute. (n.d.).
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of the practice of cross-licensing, including the repercussions for smaller businesses?
- What was the main argument the author was trying to make?
- Write about the song “We are the World” by U.S.A for Africa.
- Write a paper that explains what you mean when you talk about procedures.
- Write a paper outlining the causes of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Write the instrumental and expressive functions of each group next to the group ( The primary group is usually fairly small and is made up of individuals who generally engage face-to-face in long-term, emotionally significant ways.
- Compose a paper on the topic of play therapy sessions and conceptualizations of cases.
- Compose a research paper outlining the process of designing a drawing.
- Discuss the cultural influences and/or challenges of the Indigenous Peoples that you learned about in the module.
- Write a research paper outlining the seven historical periods of Africa.